Following the pandemic, people now use online learning to enhance their careers. The modern workplace seeks a variety of educational backgrounds and qualifications. Therefore, students strive to gain several qualifications through online courses. The Internet provides a wide range of interactive lessons. Distance learning has become accessible thanks to the internet and smartphones. Demand for online education in higher education has increased. Consequently, digital education has grown in popularity.
Uses of technology in education.
By 2023, technological innovations will make learning more appealing. A recent example is learning through “gamification”. Young people enjoy video games. Therefore, learning through “gamification” has increased student engagement. Students develop many skills through gamification. Gamification enhances creativity, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. More and more people like learning through gamification.
Educational technology has introduced artificial intelligence (AI) tools to assist online education. For example, AI offers live tools for teachers and students during courses. Moreover, AI helps teachers with the workload, lesson planning, and assessment grading. In addition, students use AI tools for online libraries and academic services. Therefore, AI provides quick, interactive, and effective learning methods. AI does not only facilitate learning. Online learning comes with stress-related elements. Consequently, AI provides students with well-being support. Also, with AI, students improve their communication and problem-solving skills.
The use of digital blackboards has also increased interaction and collaboration in online teaching. Digital blackboards help teachers create online lessons by storing and sharing notes with their students. Digital technology increases student engagement and comprehension. In many cases, digital blackboards support audio-visual learners.
Since 2018, further technological innovations have benefited online education. For instance, higher education uses virtual and augmented reality. Students can participate in virtual classes and communicate with teachers and peers. Also, students are more likely to choose remote learning with virtual simulations available. Furthermore, the virtual experience allows for a deeper level of comprehension.
Since the pandemic, people have become used to relaxing in the comfort of their homes. The workplace uses online technology to help professionals continue working remotely. Schools also set up remote learning for students. Students can now choose what they wish to learn at their own pace and comfort. Technology has made learning flexible and personalised. However, this new style of living needs more technological advancements. Consequently, future technological innovations will increase online education even further.
Another technological innovation that has helped in education is competency-based education. Students should develop their digital skills to use modern technology. Competency-based education is the key to current education. Students can apply the concepts of what they learned and produce outcomes. Students can perfect their digital and interpersonal skills through competency-based education.
What is the importance of technology in education?
Today, individuals use technology at work, at home, and at school. A few aspects of technology in education are covered below.
- Future success. Technology enhances the educational process and prepares students for the future.
- Technology boosts creativity and innovation. Students can experiment with plenty of online materials and create new concepts.
- Personalised education. Technological advancements help students to reach their academic demands and abilities.
- Risk-free online interactions. Technology is now a part of education. Students are ready to face online risks and dangers.
- Independence in learning. With plenty of online materials, students do their research. They also seek to gain online qualifications of affinity. Though independent learning engagement and quality of education increases.
- The teaching is clear and exciting. Technological tools make learning and task completion understandable and enjoyable.
- Better communication. Technology enhances communication. It helps teachers and students collaborate, exchange ideas, and hold study groups.
- Technology helps with learning and teaching conditions. Students’ abilities and future relationships depend on networking. Remote learning has connected students via shared networks.
What are the impacts of technology in education?
Remote education has become easily accessible due to technological advancements. Below are some of the impacts of technology on education.
- Comprehension. Technology affords better understanding since every inquiry is a click away. Furthermore, if students need to contact their teachers, they can do it online instantly.
- Engagement. Technology offers many tools for students to engage with their teachers and classmates. Online applications make it far easier to interact with others.
- Resources. Students have access to a variety of materials. They can explore a variety of materials without physical stress.
- Time-saving. With online technology, everything is quick and easy. Academic services, library resources, online assessments, grading, etc., save time.
- Variety of learning resources. Students can choose which learning style suits them best, e.g. through videos, recordings, games, podcasts, or others.
- Decrease in educational costs. There is no need for books and school supplies because everything is accessible online.
- Technological skills. Educational technology offers practical skills that assist students in future employment.
In conclusion, technology has substantially changed education during the past few years. As technology develops, more helpful tools emerge to support distance learning. Modern technology has made remote learning more practical. Students and teachers favour remote learning as it becomes more effective and convenient. Also, technological tools promote class engagement and teamwork.
Andrea Jacinto, ‘6 EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY TRENDS THAT WILL HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT IN 2023’ (STARTECHUP, 1 February 2023)
Axiomq, ‘7 Emerging Technologies That Will Reshape Education in 2023’ (Axiomq, 12 January 2023) https://axiomq.com/blog/7-emerging-technologies-that-will-reshape-education-in-2023/
Bay Atlantic University, ‘How Does Technology Impact Student Learning?’ (Bay Atlantic University, 3 June 2022)
Itek Group, ‘Impacts Of Technology On Education’ (LinkedIn, 24 September 2021) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/impacts-technology-education-itek-group/
Karen Stealey, ‘What are the advantages of smart boards for schools?’ (Insights, 7 September 2022) https://insights.samsung.com/2022/09/07/what-are-the-advantages-of-smart-boards-for-schools-2/
Kevin Martin, ‘Top 5 EdTech trends for 2023’ (Cambridge, 2 February 2023) https://www.cambridge.org/elt/blog/2023/02/02/top-5-edtech-trends-for-2023/
Online Business School, ‘Importance of Technology in Education’ (Online Business School) https://www.onlinebusinessschool.com/importance-of-technology-in-education/
Rambadu Dixit, ‘How Important Is Technology In Education?’ (e-Learning Industry, 27 November 2022) https://elearningindustry.com/how-important-is-technology-in-education
Susan Fourtane, ‘Technology Trends in Higher Education 2023’ (Fierce Education, 13 December 2022)
Swapnil Dharmadhikari, ‘Top 10 Trends of Education Technology for the year 2023’ (e-Pravesh)
University of the People, ‘Discovering The Importance of Technology in Education’ (University of the People)